The service-learning students and our forest restoration team leaders, who are also volunteers, accomplished so much during the 4th service-learning session.
[For those of you who may not have read previous posts about the service-learners, they are students from the University of Washington who are working on our site as an adjunct to their course work. They come once a week for seven weeks.]
We worked in an area that was full of horsetails, bindweed, dried branches and other weeds. The horsetails had started to die down for the year, but there were years of dried stalks underneath the live ones. We left the live horsetails alone as much as possible because they are a native plant. However, it often wasn’t possible to remove the bindweed without removing the horsetail, because both break easily. The horsetails have been around since before the dinosaurs, though, so we know they will be back in the Spring!
This is what the area looked like when we started the session.
We hadn’t planned to create a path that day, but it soon became clear that one would be helpful. Here are before and after photos of the new path.
We worked on the path and on removing the invasive weeds throughout the three-hour work party. Most of the weeds were taken to drying racks.
[We’ve started bagging bindweed and putting it in the trash in case being on the drying racks isn’t enough to prevent the invasive vine from re-rooting.]
Click on the gallery to enlarge the photos.
The transformation in the land was remarkable. Compare the photos below to the first one in this post.
Thanks to the effort of all of the volunteers, it had been another productive work party. Step by step, and with the blessing of Mother Nature, we are creating another healthy forest in Seattle.